Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Walking in OC -- a new photo essay

I have recently added a short photo essay to my college website. The focus of this photo tour is the experience of walking in Orange County. Given my interests, I'll put together a similar presentation in the future regarding cycling in OC, but since my sons are still on training wheels and tricycles, my family and I pursue the OC outdoors (both rural and urban) on foot. I'm not an automobile-hater; I very much love to drive and am a keen fan of many motor sports. Also, I don't want to paint too one-sided of a picture, because if walking in OC was so bad, then we wouldn't keep returning. Nonetheless, for all that is very much worthy of celebrating in Orange County, it's definitely missing something. Spaces and places built for the pedestrian, with all of the energy and creative and enjoyable serendipity that vibrant pedestrianism makes possible, are simply too few and too far between. As long as that remains the case--which seems likely far into the foreseeable future--Orange County will never live up to its potential status as a truly world-class (sub)urban place.

When you get the chance, check it out and tell me what you think. In the meantime, here's just a small taste of what you'll see:

OC1

OC6

OC18

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you, there ought to be more walking places. I am lucky to have the V.A. Hospital grounds in which my son and friend enjoyed afternoon and weekend walks. During our walking path, we are delighteed to see different types of birds,our favorite one is the hawk. This green place covers a large area, which despite the noise of the traffic in Wilshire Blvd, still relatively peaceful. Even though, the threat of expanding it, into more storage units for car dealers and Tumbleweed buses are present everyday. We hope, they could leave some green grounds for us and animals whoinhabit this place. It's quite safe, and there is always police officer patroling the area. There are also runners, joggers, and byciclist who also enjoyed this place as well. It is a good 4 to 5 miles of distance depending on the direction one takes. You might want to check it out.
Also my son and I enjoyed your knew glob, especially your link, "The Electronic Map Library." While browsing Central Asia, we came across Chad, Niger and of course Darjeeling! In Niger we noticed there was a region covered with white spots,
like salt spread. It couldn't be snow for it was in the desert,what is it? We would like to know